The GO Public Schools Oakland Digital Communications Coordinator will bring a commitment to advancing educational justice and democratic participation. This person will advance the GO mission to unite and support a community of students, families, educators and allies committed to working together to generate solutions that ensure every Oakland student thrives. Since our launch in 2009, GO Public Schools Oakland has helped families, educators and community members advocate for excellence and equity for all students by informing and empowering them about district and school policies and practices.
Through our grassroots organizing for parents in struggling district schools, GO Public Schools Oakland engages a network of family advocates who are demanding for improvements in schools across Oakland. Similarly, GO Oakland engages a network of educator advocates to learn about and improve conditions for student and teacher success, such as through our Teacher Policy Fellowship. And through the political advocacy arm of GO Public Schools Oakland Advocates, the affiliate has played a key role in elevating the work of the school board, bringing community members together to elect school board leaders committed to advocating for all students, and helping to pass measures to provide needed services and funds to schools.
This person will create digital communications that inform, motivate action, and tell our network’s story. As a strategic, proactive and detail-oriented person, the Digital Communications Coordinator will work to help optimize the organization’s online presence and community engagement through its websites and social media presence and assist with media and external relations efforts. This person will report to the Oakland Communications and Events Manager.
This position is available immediately. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
The priority deadline to apply is Monday, January 9.
- Digital Communications Management: Develop comprehensive and compelling digital campaigns in support of GO Oakland’s campaign and programs. Manage execution of digital campaigns as well as overall digital strategy, including social media platforms, search engine optimization and performance data analysis.
- Website Maintenance: Create website content, upload pages to WordPress and maintain posts and pages.
- Social Media: Manage execution of social media strategy, and development of social media campaigns, community management, engagement and social advertising. Draft and manage comprehensive social media editorial calendar across Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram. Work with team to ensure quick and appropriate responses to questions and comments sent via social media. Engage our network in social media such as through Facebook Live events and Tweet groups.
- Digital Newsletters: Develop newsletter content and upload content into templates, draft e-blasts and maintain communications databases.
- Blogs: Maintain and execute blog support duties such as authoring, publishing, and copy-editing and fact-checking
- Graphic Design: Help conceptualize banner images and graphics for use on website and social media properties. Resize and edit photos and graphics as needed.
- Video Production: Support production and editing of video to support GO campaigns as needed.
- Passion for GO’s mission and a demonstrated commitment to related issue areas
- 1–3 years work experience in a communications-related field
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with ability to communicate effectively with internal and external contacts at all levels
- Excellent copy editing skills to ensure accurate, grammatically correct public-facing communications
- Experience with web publishing platforms (eg. WordPress, Facebook, Twitter), and management tools such as HootSuite
- Basic level Photoshop editing skills, video editing, and HTML coding capability
- High attention to detail and strong organization skills, including timeliness and accuracy
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and handle unanticipated demands and requests.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a collaborative style and ability to engage others
Email a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) a portfolio of social media work and/or digital storytelling to Raymonde Charles, Senior Communications Director, at email@example.com.
The position is open and posted until filled.
Benefits and Salary
The salary range for this role is $49,296 – $55,000. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is offered, including:
- Healthcare (health, vision, and dental) provided at 100% for employees and 75% for dependents
- Healthcare plan options – choose between an Anthem PPO or Kaiser HMO
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Account (DCA)
- 2 weeks of observed holidays annually
- 2 – 3 weeks of paid time off (grows with years of experience at GO)
- 2 additional weeks of time off during the winter break
- 6 weeks of 40% pay for all new parents (to supplement State of California Paid Family Leave and/or Disability benefits)
- Simple IRA retirement plan with up to 3% annual salary match
- Paid life and long-term-disability policy
- Up to $75/month in cell phone reimbursement
- Paid professional development opportunities
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
GO Public Schools seeks individuals of all racial and ethnic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to ensuring diversity within our organization and network, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.